Shire of Laverton
Community Hub Project
Shire of Laverton - Project Manager
The Shire of Laverton wanted to create a community hub that successfully addressed the functional needs of the community, while integrating and enhancing the existing facilities on the site.
Allied Projects partnered with the Shire of Laverton on this community development project, which originally included project management of:
- a new aquatic centre
- a new multipurpose community hall (included an indoor basketball court, a gym, a commercial kitchen)
- a conference and function facility
- admin offices
- toilets and change rooms
- repurposed the exiting Town Hall into a Youth Centre (included a youth activity space, an indoor and outdoor young child play facility)
- four agency offices for use by various government agencies who visit the town periodically
After contract award, and due to state government change, the budget was significantly reduced by almost two thirds.
Allied Project's Role
Allied Projects was asked to propose a reduced scope to meet the reduced budget and client’s objectives. The revised scope design included:
- a new aquatic centre
- a reworked existing town hall renovation
- removing the agency offices to maintain the full functionality of the existing hall
- incorporating the commercial kitchen into the existing hall.
Allied Projects project managed the development of the new aquatic centre, comprised of four main elements:
- swimming pool and concourse
- ablution block
- pump and storerooms
The development of the swimming pool covered an area of approximately 500m2 (25m long x 20m wide), containing 500,000L of water, and consisted of three distinct activity areas:
- A beach entry and kids water play area, and accessible ramp & handrail
- A leisure pool area with back massage water fountains and an air jet spa bench large enough for 6 to 8 people
- A competition grade four lane 25m lap pool.
Allied Projects project managed the renovation of the town hall, which comprised four elements:
- the hall and stage
- the commercial kitchen
- the kids play area
- the entry and two offices.
Allied Projects managed the gutting and renovation of the town hall so that it could be turned into a multi-use venue intended for large meetings, events, functions and activities. The renovation of the commercial grade kitchen now allows for catering when required.
The new children’s internal and external play areas provide a safe, clean and comfortable space for mothers with small children to get together and interact and support each other.
The offices and entry now provide facilities for small meetings, admin duties and a reception and/or breakout area for large functions or events.
A positive impact for the Shire of Laverton
The result was the delivery of a new first-class pool and aqua facilities for the community to enjoy. The Laverton Community Hub was formally opened at a ceremony on 8th September 2019 by WA Premier Mark McGowan and attended by Regional Development Minister Alannah MacTiernan, Mining and Pastoral Region MLC Kyle McGinn and Laverton Shire President Patrick Hill.
Feedback from the Shire of Laverton and the Laverton community has been positive, with many saying how pleased they are with the new facilities. The design and workmanship of the final product also received considerable praise. This project is a proud benchmark for Allied Projects.