King Bay Industrial Estate
Cimeco - Project Management
The Pluto BMF Stage 2 project required the design and construction of under ground service reticulation, five buildings, heavy vehicle sealed hard stand areas, vehicle parking areas and access roads.
The project comprised the detail design, procurement and construction of a stand-alone materials handling facility near Dampier on the Burrup Peninsular. Conceptual design was provided by the client, Woodside, from which detailed design and construction works were managed by Allied Projects on behalf of the lead contractor Cimeco.
The overall project duration was 16 months split into 4 months off site design and procurement phase and 12 months on site construction.
Allied Project’s Role
In April 2009 Cimeco Pty Ltd was awarded the construction contract for the Woodside’s Pluto BMF Stage 2 project valued at $50m. Allied Projects provided a Project Manager to deliver the services. Within the scope of works was approximately 3.5km of road works required to build Mermaid Court and Hammonds Road and approximately 32,000m2 of trafficable areas around the facility. The roads and trafficable area construction works were completed between April 2010 and January 2011 at an approximate valued of $6.5m.
Details of the overall scope of work are as follows:
- Sealed and unsealed vehicle access areas including heavy vehicle hard stand areas weigh bridge and vehicle parking areas.
- Road construction 3.5km including under ground services installation, and storm water run off system.
- Material Handling Warehouse utilising insitu concrete foundations and slab, portal steel frame and colour bond cladding.
- Warehouse Office constructed insitu utilising concrete foundations, load bearing masonry and structural steel roof.
- Chemical Store constructed insitu utilising concrete foundations, load bearing masonry and structural steel roof.
- Laboratory constructed insitu utilising concrete foundations, load bearing masonry, structural steel work and colour bond roof.
- Internal fit out comprises extensive electrical and HVAC services together with a substantial industrial gas reticulation system.
- Guard House comprising off site fabricated steel framed transportable units.
The detailed description of the vehicle access works that comprised part of the Pluto BMF Stage 2 project is detailed as follows:
- Design and construct bitumen sealed heavy vehicle hard stand area approximately 20,000m2 to meet load class D 210kn. Inclusive of suitable grade for stormwater runoff and collection system. Consist of crush limestone base course and 40mm bitumen seal. Line marking and Signage.
- Design and construct unsealed heavy vehicle hard stand area approximately 12,000m2. Inclusive of suitable grade for stormwater runoff and signage.
- Design and construct 50 vehicle parking areas along side buildings as indicated in the concept design. Inclusive of 10% disable bays, storm water management system, line marking and signage.
- Design and construct 30m long weigh bridge with 80-ton capacity.
- Design and construct site wide stormwater drainage system inclusive of compensating basin, culverts, entry pits and underground stormwater pipe networks.
- Design and construct approximately 3.5km of gazetted roads inclusive of stormwater system, line marking and signage. Road to be bitumen sealed and meet all requirements of Main Roads Western Australia.